Urban Farming & youth empowerment
Added Value Farms is a youth-led urban farming and compost operation in Red Hook, Brooklyn. We create opportunities for teens to expand their knowledge base, develop their leadership skills, and positively engage with each other, their community, and the environment.
Since our founding in 2001, we have mentored scores of youth, provided hundreds of elementary students with educational programs, and worked with thousands of volunteers to farm and compost in the city. Together we strive to transform vacant lands into vibrant urban farms, improve access to healthy, affordable produce, and nurture a new generation of green leaders.
- Last year, we produced 20,000 pounds of produce at our 2 farms.
- We hire and mentor 5-25 youth per year (spring, summer, and fall) to run our farm and market.
- Our Saturday Farmers Market is open for business June-November, and sells affordable, fresh, pesticide-free produce grown right here in Red Hook!
- More than 1,200 children visited for our farm-based learning program last year.
- In partnership with Brooklyn Botanic Garden and the NYC Compost Project, we compost over 200 tons of organic waste annually.
- Over 60 families invest in the farm through our Community-Supported Agriculture program.
- Hundreds of volunteers support our work through weekly drop-in workdays as well as volunteer events through their workplace.